Fearful speakers use negative frames to describe outcomes

How do emotions influence speakers’ frame selection? Our preregistered experiment (N = 700; Prolific) revealed that dispositionally worried people preferred negative frames (e.g., 40% chance failure vs 60% chance success) to describe the predicted outcome of a decision. The opposite was found for dispositionally angry people, supporting an appraisal-tendency perspective.

Lewend Mayiwar
Lewend Mayiwar
PhD Candidate (expected 2023)

Emotions, judgment and decision making, open science & reproducibility.